Starting with the ArcGIS 2022 releases, future versions of ArcGIS Server will no longer support the ArcMap service runtime. Only services using the ArcGIS Pro service runtime will be supported, both for newly published services and existing services on an upgraded server site.
While some map services using the ArcMap service runtime may continue to function on future versions of ArcGIS Server, Esri recommends you migrate, republish, or remove all services that use the ArcMap service runtime prior to upgrading to ArcGIS 2022 and later releases. ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 offers multiple options to prepare for this upcoming change.
Map services published from ArcMap do not necessarily need to be reauthored in ArcGIS Pro and republished. Eligible map services can be migrated in ArcGIS Server Manager using an Edit Runtime operation introduced at 10.9. This operation migrates the service runtime of the map service from that of ArcMap to that of ArcGIS Pro without changing the service's content or settings.
The Edit Runtime operation works on one map service at a time. The following conditions must apply:
- The map service must have been published from ArcMap. (Services originally published from ArcGIS Pro cannot be migrated to the ArcMap service runtime.)
- The map service must not have the Schematics capability enabled.
- The map service must not have any custom SOEs or SOIs enabled.
After using this operation to migrate a map service's runtime, you should thoroughly test the service. If it's not working properly, you can use the same operation to revert the service runtime to that of ArcMap.
Migrate an eligible map service to the ArcGIS Pro service runtime
The following steps explain how to use the Edit Runtime operation for a map service:
- Sign in to ArcGIS Server Manager as an administrator.
- Locate the map service you want to migrate. Click its Edit button.
- If the map service has the Schematics capability or any custom SOEs or SOIs enabled, disable them now to make the service eligible for migration.
- On the General tab of the Service Editor, the Service Runtime section indicates the map service's current runtime. If the service is eligible to be migrated, an Edit button will be available. Click the button to open the Edit Runtime dialog box.
Note:Ensure that if you've made any other changes to the service's settings during this session, you saved those changes before migrating the service. All unsaved changes to service settings will be lost.
- Select the ArcGIS Pro option on the dialog box and click Apply to begin the migration operation.
The operation will restart the service when complete. The service's Runtime should now display ArcGIS Pro.
- Ensure the map service functions properly in your applications. If you detect any functionality issues, you can return to the Edit Runtime dialog box and reverse the migration operation.
If you prefer to migrate multiple services in bulk, you can use the migration command line tool. This tool is also capable of migrating the service runtime for image services and several OGC service types.